carrot

Thursday, February 15, 2007


Many people ask me, what exactly is Red Velvet (or Red Devil, as one customer accurately misspoke). I feel my description often falls short of a well-rounded understanding. So I turn to my trusted friend, wikipedia: "James Beard's 1972 reference, 'American Cookery' describes three kinds of red velvet cake varying in the amounts of shortening and butter used. All of them use red food coloring for the color, but it is mentioned that the reaction of acidic vinegar and buttermilk tends to turn the cocoa a reddish brown color. Furthermore, before more alkaline 'Dutch Processed' cocoa was widely available, the red color would have been more pronounced. This natural tinting may have been the source for the name 'Red Velvet' as well as 'Devil's Food' and a long list of similar names for chocolate cakes." Amen. God bless wikipedia and god bless cupcakes.

No comments: